There has been a good start to 2013 for the new car market in 2013.
“The new car market has started the year confidently with registrations climbing 11.5% in January,” said Mike Baunton, interim Chief Executive, SMMT. “Lifted by a solid rise in private demand, the new car market posted its 11th successive month of growth with motorists attracted to forecourts by the latest models and competitive deals on offer. Building on a strong performance in 2012, SMMT has increased its market forecast – we anticipate a modest rise over the year, followed by further growth in 2014.”
- UK new car registrations rose 11.5% to 143,643 units in January 2013.
- Growth was boosted by 15.9% rise in private registrations during the month.
- All fuel types showed growth in January. Alternatively-fuelled cars posted a 7.9% rise in volumes.
- Growth in private and small car demand helped petrol cars see their market share rise.
- SMMT revises full year forecast to show modest growth in 2013, after an encouraging 2012 performance.